We all have a role to play in building peace.
Each year, the United States Institute of Peace (USIP) asks people to affirm that peace is a real alternative to violent conflict by taking action for peace on September 21, the United Nations’ International Day of Peace, and sharing it with a global community using #PeaceDayChallenge. Since launching in 2015, the Peace Day Challenge has reached 148 countries and all 50 U.S. states, engaged hundreds of schools and organizations, and inspired social media posts from high-profile individuals and a broad public audience reaching tens of millions of people each year.
- Engage in an act of volunteerism or service to help those in need. In addition to opportunities that may be available in your own community, explore Points of Light’s Virtual Volunteer Opportunities.
- Hold an event or activity, virtual or in-person, to mark the International Day of Peace and raise awareness about issues of peace and conflict that matter to you.
- Gain practical peacebuilding skills through USIP’s online courses, available tuition-free on our Global Campus platform.
- Post messages of peace around your home, school, place of worship or community.
- Make a personal pledge to be a peacebuilder from now on, by seeking nonviolent ways to manage conflict and by seeking out opportunities to take positive action for peace in your everyday life.
- Share your action for peace with the hashtag #PeaceDayChallenge!