The United States Institute of Peace is located at 2301 Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20037. USIP is currently open to guests who have an appointment with a staff member or who are attending a program or a public event. Guests arriving at the Institute should use the 23rd street entrance.
- Using Public Transit
- Driving Directions
- Read important information on attending a public event at USIP
- Hosting an event at USIP
- Visits by Student Groups
Public parking is not available at the USIP site. There are several public parking garages near USIP:
- 533 21st St NW
- 2400 Virginia Ave NW
- 600 New Hampshire Ave NW
- 2600 Virginia Ave NW
Using Public Transit
The U.S. Institute of Peace is a short walk (0.6 miles) from Metro's Foggy Bottom - GWU (Blue/Orange line) subway station. At street level turn right at 23rd Street, walk south toward Constitution Avenue (away from the traffic circle). The U.S. Institute of Peace is at the corner of 23rd street and Constitution Avenue, NW. It is directly across the street from the U.S. Department of State. You can plan your trip by going to Metro's interactive Rail Map at: http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm
The Foggy Bottom section of 23rd Street and Constitution Avenue is served by the following Metro Bus routes:
- D5-MacArthur Blvd-Georgetown
- H1-Brookland-Potomac Park
- L1-Connecticut Avenue
- N3-Massachusetts Ave
- S1-16th Street-Potomac Park
- X1-Benning Road-Potomac Park
- 7Y-Lincolnia-North Fairlington
- 13F-Reagan National Airport-Pentagon-Washington
- 31-Wisconsin Avenue
- 32 and 36-Pennslyvania Avenue
- 39-Pennslyvania Avenue Limited
- 80-North Capital Street
For Metro Bus information, go to: http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/
Information for Guests Attending Public Events and Programming
The following information applies to those who are attending a public event at the U.S. Institute of Peace. If you are attending a public event or program, please allow enough time for check-in. It is encouraged that you register in advance for a public event to guarantee your admission. Walk-ins are welcome to attend public programming if space is available.
- All guests attending a public event or program at USIP must have a valid photo ID for entry.
- Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Guests are required to enter via the 23rd Street entrance.
- Screening of guests and visitors entering the building using metal detectors is required. All handbags, briefcases, laptops, etc. must be placed on the x-ray machines for scanning.
- Parking is not available for guests attending public events or programming. Please see information on nearby parking for guests.
- All guests must check-in at the welcome desk upon arrival to receive a badge to access meeting/event spaces.
Hosting an Event at USIP
The United States Institute of Peace approves a limited number of special event requests from corporate and non-profit organizations for private evening use. Our multi-use, multi-roomed venue is perfect for corporate events, banquet dinners and receptions. Fundraisers and events of a political, religious, or personal nature (such as weddings and birthday parties) may not be held at the United States Institute of Peace.
Please note: Standard event hours are Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm, and 6pm-12am for special events in our public spaces. Weekend events are considered by request. The United States Institute of Peace is closed on Federal Holidays.
For available dates and additional information, please contact the Conferences, Meetings and Events Office at email@example.com or by phone at 202-429-7870.
Download the USIP Conferences, Meetings and Events Brochure [PDF]